Mairangi Arts Centre is housed in the old Mairangi War Memorial Hall built in 1953. It was built by local people from whatever they could acquire. Much of the material came from the wharves including the original Tawa floor which is still used today.
From 1972, it was used for many years as the headquarters for the East Coast Bays Football club.
Mairangi Arts Centre (MAC) was initiated after a group of East Coast Bays residents saw the need for an arts centre in their area. After more than ten years of fundraising, the centre was opened in May 1991. Following an extensive refurbishment it was transformed into a light and spacious environment which has been maintained ever since.
Today MAC is one of Auckland’s oldest and largest community art centres employing over 25 tutors and servicing a diverse and growing membership from across the North Shore community.
Visit this link for further information and photos on our history.
Support our staff as an accredited Living Wage Employer
Include and Respect all people
Be Responsible to stakeholders for improvement in the way we work, and for the sustainability of our organisation
Strive fo Excellence in the arts through creativity, critical thinking and skilled practice
Value, honour and embrace the principle of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
Engaging and empowering our diverse communities through the arts
Nurture the continuous discovery of diverse and innovative art experiences